Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Tis the Season to be Holly

I thought that was hilarious when I was 8. I still think it is kind of funny, clever at least.

So my name is Holly. It is Christmas Time. The amount of times I hear my name has grown exponentially.

One day. I believe it was Christmas Eve. A man said "Holly, that is a festive name."
I wanted to say. "I changed it just for the season. normally it is Gertrude."


DISCLAIMER FOR LACK OF CHRISTMAS SPIRIT: I was just in a wreck in Provo and had to wait around for hours when I was flying home to GA that day. I was stressed.


The other day, i thought i heard someone say my name. I turned around just in time to hear "Fa la la la la, la la la la."


This got me thinking. How many Christmas songs am I part of?


Well we have:


"Deck the halls with boughs of Holly." This song always got some interesting comments about how i could be decor. they were always much appreciated. i do like the fa la la la las. though.


I also like the Holly and the Ivy. I think I like it because it is lesser known. A treasure when you hear it if you will.



"Oh by gosh, by golly, it's time for mistletoe and holly" I love this one. it is fun. also kinda implies that someone is wanting me and mistletoe. just saying. I like it best when sung by Frank Sinatra.

"Haul out the holly"..from we need a little Christmas. Not necessarily my favorite. Sounds like i have eaten too many Christmas sweets. Plus who likes to be hauled anywhere?

"You will get a sentimental feeling When you hear voices singing "Let's be jolly; Deck the halls with boughs of holly"...and I do.

"But the prettiest sight to see is the Holly that will be on your own front door. " One of my personal favorites. I took the liberty of capitalizing Holly.

"Pine cones and Holly Berries" from Pine Cones and Holly Berries. I didn't know this song existed.


lastly (well i'm sure there are more but i think this is a little out of control already) is Holly Jolly Christmas.
who honestly can say they don't like this song? maybe the grinch (pre-heart expansion of course, i'm sure he is a fan now.)
Anyway. I think "have a holly jolly Christmas" takes the cake. (my nickname was once holly jolly, and i am on strict orders to marry someone with the last name jolly)

1 comment:

  1. :) I have thought about you at least a dozen times this Christmas just because of these songs.

    Christmastime is fun for me, too, because it highlights my last name. "Snow, snow, snow, snooooooow!" (Think of that song in "White Christmas.")

    Isn't it fun to have such great names???

    ReplyDelete